The primary purpose of volunteers at the Branch County Coalition Against Domestic Violence is to assist agency staff in activities that allow us to achieve our mission of providing emergency response and supportive services to victims of violence and advocating for changes that will break the cycle of violence in our society. These activities range from direct service to organizing, cleaning, special projects and fundraising.
Direct Service Volunteer Opportunities:
(In order to ensure high quality services and the safety of our clients, these positions require an application and screening process, which includes a complete criminal history/background check. We also request a minimum three-month commitment.)
- Shelterhouse coverage/crisis line work
(40 hours of training required)
- Provide supportive services to victims/survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault.
- Provide appropriate crisis intervention –
empathetic listening and
- Provide appropriate referral information to callers about community agencies
- Thoroughly document crisis/referral calls on appropriate forms
- Child care
- Provide child care for dependents of victims/survivors during appointments, legal proceeding, job interviews, etc.
- Altrusa Teen SHARE Mentor
- Assist teens with life skills development
Non-Direct Service Volunteer Opportunities:
- General house cleaning, laundry, organizing cupboards, etc.
- Sorting/putting away donations in basement
- Sorting/putting away food in basement pantry, rotating food in pantry, re-stocking house cupboards with food from pantry
- Fundraising/special projects
- Organizing and carrying out fundraising events with Fundraiser Committee or Board of Directors.
- Staffing a display or information table at
- Making copies or stuffing envelopes
- Assist with property grounds maintenance: lawn mowing, landscaping, yard clean up, and special projects as needed
- Assist with property facilities maintenance:
painting, interior decorating projects, repair work, etc.
- Arrange/pick up large item donations from
(ie: furniture, mattresses, clothing, etc)
- Helping clients move
After the application is approved, we will place you in a position in the area that you are most interested; and we will do our best to keep you in that area. We are looking for volunteers that want to make a difference!
You may get this application by downloading (see below), e’mailing us at the address below, or by giving us a call at 278-SAFE (7233) and we can mail you an application.
Return to :
220 N. Michigan
Coldwater, MI 49036
There are many ways to get involved and help the victims and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault!
Give of yourself!
It might be someone you know
or it might be YOU…
Give of your time!
Volunteering can be so many things:
From being trained to answer crisis line calls to weeding the flowerbed.
Whatever you feel most comfortable doing!
Give of your resources!
This can be funding a special project or helping in some way with a fundraiser.
Give what is right for your situation!